Printmakingblog

Graphic Chemical & Ink Company is a world leader in the fine art field of printmaking. We manufacture our own time-tested inks for etching, litho and relief printing, as well as sell screen print inks, papers, tools, chemistry, plates and supplies for all of a printmaker's needs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Villa Park, Illinois, United States

I have worked for Graphic Chemical & Ink Company since 1968 - with a brief hiatus(almost 4 years) to travel the World courtesy of my uncle. Sadly it turns out it was my Uncle Sam, and I wasn't too thrilled about the places that he chose to send me. My wife and I have run Graphic Chemical for many years, and have enjoyed the travel that comes with the position. We get to meet our customers (and the occasional vendor) from all over the World

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

CWS -Winning Ugly is back in style!


Forty Six years ago, the Chicago White Sox (the other team in Chicago baseball) went to the World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. It was, I believe, the first time a California team played in the World Series. Last Saturday night, the White Sox returned for the first time since the Fall of 1959, to play the Houston Astros - the first team from Texas to play in the Series. The Sox won game 1 in both series. Fortunately, that's where the similarities end, since Los Angeles won in 1959 four games to two. As of this writing, The White Sox are ahead 3 games to none, with tonight's game possibly being the last.

The interesting thing to me is that all of Chicago is pumped up about this. Even my nephew, John, who is, due to what I believe is a genetic flaw, a Cub fan asked me if he should be cheering for the Sox as a matter of civic pride. Before I could provide the necessary guidance, he rephrased his question. He asked me if the Cubs were playing in the series, would I be pulling for them? The answer, of course, was no! If you know anything about Chicago, a true fan cannot support both teams - it just can't happen. My two favorite teams in baseball are, after all, the White Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs that day.

So what has this got to do with printmaking? As Edwin Starr said in his '70's hit War....absolutely nuthin'! I've been a White Sox fan since 1952 when I went to my first game at old Comiskey Park (the Sox beat the A's), and haven't had too much to crow about over the years, so I hope you'll forgive my enthusiasm. I promise no more about baseball until they win the World Series.

editors note: The White Sox won game 4 by a score of 1-0! There is joy in Mudville after all and for a short while, Chicago is second city no more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home