Printmakingblog

Graphic Chemical & Ink Company is a world leader in the fine art field of printmaking. We manufacture our own time-tested inks for etching, litho and relief printing, as well as sell screen print inks, papers, tools, chemistry, plates and supplies for all of a printmaker's needs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Villa Park, Illinois, United States

I have worked for Graphic Chemical & Ink Company since 1968 - with a brief hiatus(almost 4 years) to travel the World courtesy of my uncle. Sadly it turns out it was my Uncle Sam, and I wasn't too thrilled about the places that he chose to send me. My wife and I have run Graphic Chemical for many years, and have enjoyed the travel that comes with the position. We get to meet our customers (and the occasional vendor) from all over the World

Friday, September 30, 2005

AMAZING THINGS

I'm always amazed at things that I shouldn't be. I'm amazed that my taxes always get filed on time (rarely early, but on time). I'm amazed that politicians, of both parties, can get re-elected sometimes. I'm amazed that bumblebees can fly, but lately, I'm amazed at what people don't know about Graphic Chemical & Ink Company.

Recently I had a small display at a trade show, and was astounded, nay shocked, at the number of people who came up to me and began the conversation with," I didn't know that you carried ____________." You can fill in your own blank here, be it books, papers, plates whatever. Now the fact that they didn't know it means that I have failed at my job of making sure that people do know what's available from Graphic Chemical.


Books are a perfect example.

"I didn't know that you carried books"...but we have almost 30 titles that are specific to printmaking. We've screened these books so that we know they add something to the base of knowledge that printmakers need and want. The example shown here is a perfect one...The Contemporary Printmaker by Keith Howard. This book is the definitive work on non-toxic printmaking, a must for any printmaker's library. But, we also carry an excellent book from Henrik Boegh - Handbook of Non-Toxic Intaglio. This book has a slightly different approach to the topic. And, best of all, both books have accompanying videos, too! (I know, " You carry videos?").

Print papers are another area where we've not succeeded in letting people know what we have. Sure many - maybe most - of you have bought papers from us over the years. A good friend of mine, who is a paper distributor, convinced me several years ago that the paper line needed more offerings. Amazingly, he told me just what my wife had been saying for years, so I finally listened. Our paper selection has grown to one of the broadest ranges available anywhere with almost 400 different selections. I'd have given you an exact count, but I lost count about the fourth page of the catalog section. In addition to standard print papers, like Arches, Rives, Somerset and Fabriano, we carry our own outstanding paper - Graphic Heavyweight, a 100% rag, neutral pH sheet that is very affordable and very high quality. We also carry Digital papers, Rolls, Pads & Blocks.

This turned into a sales message, didn't it? Well, I'm amazed, but that's o.k. The bottom line of all this is simple - if printmakers use it, we probably carry it. If you don't see something in the catalog or online - ask us. We could easily have it in stock for immediate delivery

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home