Printmakingblog

Graphic Chemical & Ink Company is a world leader in the fine art field of printmaking. We manufacture our own time-tested inks for etching, litho and relief printing, as well as sell screen print inks, papers, tools, chemistry, plates and supplies for all of a printmaker's needs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Villa Park, Illinois, United States

I have worked for Graphic Chemical & Ink Company since 1968 - with a brief hiatus(almost 4 years) to travel the World courtesy of my uncle. Sadly it turns out it was my Uncle Sam, and I wasn't too thrilled about the places that he chose to send me. My wife and I have run Graphic Chemical for many years, and have enjoyed the travel that comes with the position. We get to meet our customers (and the occasional vendor) from all over the World

Monday, March 26, 2012

FRANCISCO MENDOZA 1958-2012


Artists, particularly printmakers, are a fairly outgoing lot as a general rule. We are blessed with not only great friendships, but life long friendships with many of our customers.

Francisco Mendoza was one of the most interesting personalities that I have ever come across, in or out of the art field. For 25 years, Francisco taught at what is now the Orozco Community Academy in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood. I met Francisco many years ago when he came into Graphic as a customer. His humor was fantastic, and he did uncanny imitations of notable personalities.

I had the honor of going to visit the Orozco Academy back in 2004 or so, as part of my other life - education. The State Board of Education in Illinois had scheduled a meeting at the Mexican Fine Arts Museum (now the National Museum of Mexican Art) in Chicago, and as part of the two day meeting, we visited some local schools , including Orozco. I was totally blown away with the incredible mosaics on display at the school. About 2 months after my visit, I was speaking with Francisco and mentioned that visit. That's when I learned that Orozco was where he taught. I began waxing poetic (well poetic for me anyway) about the mosaics, and Francisco said that he had done them. My immediate reaction was cynical given his sense of humor.

It turns out that not only had he done them, but that he was sought out to do them by one of Chicago's top art patrons - Maggie Daley, the wife of the former mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley.

Francisco passed away on March 12 from complications from multiple myeloma. His murals are well known in a city that treasures art like few others. In addition to the mosaics at Orozco, Francisco had installations at the South Chicago YMCA, the Chicago Transit Authority's 18th Street L station, and numerous other places.

Francisco Mendoza is survived by his sister, Juanita, a brother Vicente, and a nephew James Larralde. His passing leaves a void in the Chicago artists' community and he will be missed by all.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mary Mead said...

Nice tribute Dean - way too young.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Cristina Puzio said...

I am from Pilsen and he was my Art Teacher and friend. I miss him so much. This was a great blog! Thank you for writing about him.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Cristina Puzio said...

I am from Pilsen and he was my Art Teacher and friend. I miss him so much. This was a great blog! Thank you for writing about him.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Pilsen and he was my Art Teacher and friend. I miss him so much. This was a great blog! Thank you for writing about him.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He also had nephew and a Niece you didn't mention....Sergio,Napo,Pablo and Lori....rest in paradise bro<3

11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He also had nephew and a Niece you didn't mention....Sergio,Napo,Pablo and Lori....rest in paradise bro<3

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home