Printmakingblog

Graphic Chemical & Ink Company is a world leader in the fine art field of printmaking. We manufacture our own time-tested inks for etching, litho and relief printing, as well as sell screen print inks, papers, tools, chemistry, plates and supplies for all of a printmaker's needs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Villa Park, Illinois, United States

I have worked for Graphic Chemical & Ink Company since 1968 - with a brief hiatus(almost 4 years) to travel the World courtesy of my uncle. Sadly it turns out it was my Uncle Sam, and I wasn't too thrilled about the places that he chose to send me. My wife and I have run Graphic Chemical for many years, and have enjoyed the travel that comes with the position. We get to meet our customers (and the occasional vendor) from all over the World

Friday, November 28, 2008

WEDDING BELL BLUES

So, after almost a year of planning, the first ever wedding of two Graphic Chemical employees has happened. Oh, it's not the first time that two GC employees were married (e.g Susan and me, my parents, Sarah and Pete, the Snyders and a few others), but the first time that two employees got married.
Liz and Josh managed, despite a few obstacles, to tie the knot on November 8th. It was a glorious affair marred only by the inconsiderate boor who not only left his cell phone on in Church, but actually had a call during the service! He had a very distinctive ring tone, so the assignment of blame was immediate and conclusive. The ring tone was a tune called Suicide is Painless which as many of you know as the theme song to M*A*S*H.
What makes the story even better, the father of the bride (that would be me for those of you operating without a genealogy chart) is addicted to M*A*S*H - possibly being the world's foremost expert thereof - and actually has the theme song as his ring tone!
That's right, my blasted phone rang twice during the service because I couldn't get it turned off quickly enough! It actually rang six more times before we left Church, but at least by then I had it on vibrate. Afterwards, a friend asked me who had called since everyone I knew was at the wedding. It turns out that I have made some unsavory acquaintances in my years of quasi-politics. The most unsavory would not be the obvious politicians currently in jail, or headed there, but rather the reporters who helped put them there. It was, in fact a reporter, who was actually just looking for someone else to confirm a story! She did, by the way, get the story wrong anyway.
During the father-of-the-bride speech later in the afternoon, no fewer than three of my friends tried calling me. My story (and I'm sticking with it) is that the phone was on as a courtesy to President-elect Obama. If he called offering me a post like Secretary of Education or Defense, I didn't want him to have to deal with voice mail.
In about five years or so, I expect that Susan will begin to see the humor of the situation ...maybe.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes to the new couple, and for the tradition of family members marrying from within the company. They are a handsome couple. Oh, Dean, your cell phone. Those just never quit ringing and vibrating. I don't have one and am glad most of the time. An annoying other thing that happens cellphonewise are teenagers seated in the audience at the local theater who must text message their friends, and the lighted screens of their phones pierce the eyes of everyone within viewing distance, and that can be pretty far.

Thanks for an amusing and happy post. Susan will eventually forgive you, as you hope. If she's anything at all like you, she has a sense of humor. If not, you're going to have to make it up to her somehow. :-)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Dawn Rossbach said...

Good story!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Sharri said...

Congratulations, Father of the Bride. A very funny post - thanks for the smiles.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a start to their marriage! Fancy inviting your boss to your wedding! Are you sure you didn't leave it on deliberately Dean - to lighten the occasion? You can tell us and we promise that we won't tell Susan.
M

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home