Printmakingblog

Graphic Chemical & Ink Company is a world leader in the fine art field of printmaking. We manufacture our own time-tested inks for etching, litho and relief printing, as well as sell screen print inks, papers, tools, chemistry, plates and supplies for all of a printmaker's needs

My Photo
Name:
Location: Villa Park, Illinois, United States

I have worked for Graphic Chemical & Ink Company since 1968 - with a brief hiatus(almost 4 years) to travel the World courtesy of my uncle. Sadly it turns out it was my Uncle Sam, and I wasn't too thrilled about the places that he chose to send me. My wife and I have run Graphic Chemical for many years, and have enjoyed the travel that comes with the position. We get to meet our customers (and the occasional vendor) from all over the World

Friday, May 25, 2007

RESPONSE TO POST


Every once in a while I get a posting on the Graphic Bulletin Board (www.graphicchemical.com) that I don't know how to react to. The following is one of those:


Feedback about the forum! I'd like to give some feedback about the Forum, I am surprised how few people use it, here are some of the issues I have observed and heard from members:

1. From the homepage there is no apparent direct link to member forum. I find it each time by going to the blog and going to the disclaimer where it gives you the link to Member forum. Could you maybe make it more visible, and more people will use it.

2. Quite a few people have mentioned that they submitted non-offensive posts and that their posts got pulled (happened to me the other day) this will surely discourage people.

3. Some people have mentioned that they submitted a post and no reply from w/s staff was ever received..that will surely discourage people. thanks for listening and have a great day! Marita


This post was placed on my particular favorite subject on the Discussion Forum - SPAM. It clearly states that all posts will be removed without being read. Obviously that's not always the case - a catchy subject line may cause me to look first and delete later - the case here obviously.


On the off-chance that this is a legitimate posting, I want to respond to the concerns:

1. There are about 4-5 large buttons atthe bottom of the Home Page that have a large microphone picture and the words "Discussion Forum". While I appreciate someone going to the blog, it isn't necessary to go there to get to the Forum.

2. If someone has submitted a non-offensive post and it's been removed, it has either been non-printmaking related or it's been accidental. The Forum is for printmaking not insurance, cars, aluminum siding, drugs or sex. I have deleted over 1700 signatures in the guestbook, and I'm sure a handful of them could have been legitimate "lurkers", but that's a small number. I go through a rather extensive method of determining who stays and who goes. It's not fool proof, but it's pretty fair.

3. I answer almost every post myself, unless others have jumped in and offered solutions, input or whatever. Some posts don't require an answer, but all get read and most get a response almost immediately.
If you don't feel like you've gotten a fair shake on the Bulletin Board, e-mail me at sales@graphicchemical.com and I'll make sure that you're included.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dean, what the heck is going on with the Graphic Chemical forum? The spam is spoiling such a good thing, I hate it! I go to 2 other art forums that don't have this problem, is there something missing here that would filter this stuff out?

6:54 PM  
Blogger Dean Clark said...

I'm not sure what others are doing, but we remove the Spam as soon as possible - several times a day. As you may have noticed the MTSU website shut down their forum because of the Spam.

The one thing that could be done, but it would stifle the real users of the Forum, would be to require authorization from us before a post went live on the Forum. With travel schedules etc. that could mean that legitimate postings could take days to get on the site. I'm not particularly interested in doing that, but I'm open to suggestion.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing that could help, but I am not sure if it is a good idea or not is to charge a small sign up fee. I know some forums do this and it does limit the problem. It kind of goes against the "democratic" grain of printmaking but on the other hand why should we feel "democratic" to people who take advantage of a free site to mess it up? Or charge a refundable fee and after legitimate postings the fee could be refunded? Lin

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Dean for taking measures to limit the spam...I will visit the site more often now! Lin

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home